Sunday, July 22, 2007

Multi-tasking

This was a great weekend. Not only did I polish off all of Harry Potter 7, but I also got a lot of writing done. Yes! Writing! On the day of the Potterapocalyse, no less!

There are benefits to having your spouse roll his eyes and leave you in a room by yourself for the whole weekend. I only needed fifteen hours to read the book; the rest of the time has been quite productive.

Which leads to the idea of multi-tasking.

I used to write Harry Potter fanfiction (*blush*), and it was a lot of fun. However, after I started my own novel, I had to stop writing fanfiction because I couldn't obsess properly about my own characters while I was also obsessing about someone else's. In my head, there appears to only be room for one universe at a time.

It astonishes me when someone says they are working on several stories simultaneously. I mean - how do you do that? I suppose it's easier if all the characters sprang from your own noggin, but still: one brain, one universe. Remove old cartridge before inserting new cartridge.

I think I'd find it very difficult to switch gears like that. Could those who do this, or have done it, tell me how it works for you? I'm really interested in how you manage it!

Pageloads since 01/01/2009: