Tuesday, October 16, 2007

B-Day Books | And She Pitched Over In a Dead Faint

The majority of my immediate family blasted into town this weekend, which is why work, blog posts, coherent thinking and the laundry are only getting done now. I had a great time, but it's amazing how much loved ones can tucker you out when they set their mind to it.

As a birthday present, my brother left behind two large boxes of books he doesn't want anymore. He did this for me once before and it was one of the best birthday presents I ever got, so I'm delighted the backlog on his shelves has prompted him to do it again. Yay! Books! My nightstand shall be stacked to the rafters with urban fantasy for the next while.

In other news? I'm going to my first writing conference next weekend. Hurrah!

And as part of that conference, I'm going to be meeting with an agent to give a ten minute pitch session.

****WE INTERRUPT THIS BLOG TO ALLOW THE BLOGGER A QUALITY MOMENT WITH HER HEART PALPITATIONS. SERVICE WILL RESUME SHORTLY.****

A pitch. I'm supposed to pitch my book. To an agent. Do I have a pitch ready? NoooOOOooo... Do I know how to create a pitch? NoooOOOooo... Hoh-my-goodness.

Where to begin? Probably the same place I began the synopsis: create a list of the turning points, then add only the important details.

Then practise saying it all without stuttering, which is non-trivial, but still the easy part.

Have any of you done pitches to agents/editors? If so, what advice would you give?

If not, what--if you were the audience for a pitch--would you find most engaging? What would you want to hear about, and what would grab your interest? Conversely, what would make you snooze?

Pageloads since 01/01/2009: