Friday, April 23, 2010

Ouch.

So, I no longer have a literary agent.

I half-way knew when I sent her my latest novel there was strong chance my agent wouldn't want to represent it. This book is very dark and quite a departure from the one she signed me with. Thus, the news last night was a disappointment, but not a shock.

My experience of working with Eleanor Wood has been nothing but positive. I highly recommend anyone who writes science fiction or fantasy to query her; she's a lovely woman--warm, professional and dedicated--and a responsive agent. Any time I had a question, she always got back to me promptly. Her comments on my work were both supportive and incisive, and I valued her feedback.

Plus, she found an editor at Tor (I mean, like, Tor. Tor! Squee!) who wanted to make an offer on my first novel. If the economy hadn't tanked at an inopportune moment, I probably would have been able to celebrate publication this year. You can't ask for better than that.

So I'm a little sad now, but still hopeful. If I did it once, I can do it again, and I am nothing if not bull-headed. This is a setback only.

Plus, as these photos show, there are bigger problems a person could have. I've got a wonderful life, and I'm thankful even to have a shot at getting published--the luxury to strive for more than just the necessities of life is a great gift.

But dang--does this mean I have to write another query letter?!?

Thanks to Writtenwyrdd for the link to volcano photos! Aren't they gorgeous?


Author website: J. J. DeBenedictis

Pageloads since 01/01/2009: