Thursday, September 01, 2011

Useful Information for Non-US, Self-Published Writers

Roz Morris has assembled a very clear guide for how to apply for an ITIN number from the United States IRS if you are a self-published author who is not a US citizen.

Having an ITIN number allows you to then ask Smashwords and Amazon to withhold less of your earnings for taxation, provided you live in a country that has a taxation treaty with the US (as many of them do.)

Please note the IRS is damned cryptic about how to do this sort of thing, so please pass this link along to anyone you know who self-publishes but is not a US citizen. It's very useful information!
How I Got My ITIN Number

Author website: J. J. DeBenedictis


Jenny Woolf said...

Yeah, it's a blooming nightmare but absolutely essential. The idea of having to apply for an IVisa is putting me off writing anything about the US though. That really is bureaucracy gone mad

jjdebenedictis said...

Jenny: Yes, I tried getting my ITIN and couldn't make heads or tails of their reason for denying me. I was glad to find Roz's post because I didn't want to try again until I knew what I'd done wrong the first time.

Pageloads since 01/01/2009: