Wednesday, November 25, 2009

MemeMemeMeme? Show Your Thanks

CKHB has a fantastic idea here on the brink of the American Turkey Appreciation Day: Show what you're thankful for.

In other words, don't tell us what you're thankful for, paint a scene that shows us.

I'm not American, but as Writtenwyrdd recently pointed out, taking a moment every day (or throughout the day) to stop and feel thankful is one of the most effective things you can do to pull yourself out of a spiral of negativity.

So here's three things I'm thankful for, shown rather than told:

~~~~~~~
1) Several years ago, I was having a patch of ill health, and I got way too skinny. I also had a new boyfriend (who I would eventually marry), and he was obviously a really nice boyfriend because, y'know, I wasn't exactly looking my best at the time.

One day, we were trying a new brand of cranberry juice. I only like cranberry juice if it's sweet enough; if it's tart, the natural bitterness of the berries is pretty offensive to me.

This brand of juice was almost too sugary and also a little watery. My boyfriend asked what I thought of it. I said, "It is sweet; it's just a bit thin."

He smiled and said, "Like you."
~~~~~~~
2) My sister has this giggle, an little gurgle of noise that broadcasts delight and is quietly virulent. She doesn't do it often, but when she does, you remember it.

My brother has a smile that's borderline movie star, but shades very noticeably toward imp. It also blooms in an instant, and often.

When my mom laughs, it's from the heart, without reserve, and it gives open invitation to anyone to join her.

When my dad laughs, the sound is quite reserved--but that's okay, because it's the delight on his face that lights the room.
~~~~~~~
3) I have no friends who have been 'disappeared' by the secret police. I have never lost a child to leukemia. I've never had a family member killed in a terrorist attack. No one has ever beaten me.

I'm noodling on the internet with a mug of tea and the rain chattering on my windows, and the only thing I have to complain about right this instant is that my nose is runny.
~~~~~~~

If you like this idea of "showing" your thanks, please propagate it on your own blog. Also, please add a link to CKHB's post and perhaps the blog of whoever you got the idea most directly from.

Author website: J. J. DeBenedictis

Pageloads since 01/01/2009: