Tuesday, February 09, 2010

MemeMemeMeme...

Crikey! Maybe Genius dun tagged me!



And I, for my crimes, must tell you 10 honest things about myself. Here goes:

1) I'm six feet tall in my socks, and that means I have a built-in excuse for never, ever wearing high heels. Mwuhahaha!


2) I'm much more eloquent on paper than I am in person.


3) During graduate school, I worked in an awesome laboratory, at a great university, with wonderful and brilliant people, doing a cool and interesting project, and my supervisor was arguably the nicest man on the face of the Earth.

And I have never been so miserable in my life.


4) I'm limber enough to wrap my ankles around the back of my neck, but not limber enough to touch my toes. I have no idea why that is.


5) I'm an utter wimp about a wide variety of things, but not public speaking.


6) In fact, I find face-to-face conversations much more anxiety-provoking than talking to a room of people.


7) They say most of us dream in black and white, but this isn't true. We dream in colour; it's just that our brains forget the colours after we wake up.

I remember my dreams as being full of colour--but silent.


8) I can't whistle. I've been trying to learn since childhood, and I. Just. Can't. (I can make a pathetic sort of lisp-y sound, however.)


9) I must take medicine in order to live.


10) I don't understand why anyone sunbathes. Never mind that it's bad for you, how can they stand the boredom?

At this point, I am supposed to tag several others to complete this meme, but let's do the following instead:

You are forbidden--forbidden, I say!--from leaving a comment on this post unless you tell us all one truth about yourself.

That's right; you must pay a truth-toll!

(Mwuhahaha.)


Author website: J. J. DeBenedictis

12 comments:

Sarf's Travels. said...

I am surrounded by friends and in contact with family, but feel lonely all the time.

writtenwyrdd said...

I like your truths. Mine is: I've always wanted to be six feet tall. Always. I used to be 5'8" until I hit middle age and got a bad back and managed to shrink somewhere between an inch and an inch and a half!

maybe genius said...

Another truth, eh? Well... when I was younger, I wanted to be named Katie or Crystal. I thought they were much better than my real name. I've since changed my mind.

Lucky you, never having to wear heels! I'm 5'2", so I have no such excuse :D

jjdebenedictis said...

Sarf: Boy, that sounds familiar. Having El Husbando in my life helped with that feeling, but he still didn't make it fully go away.

I think we're just built that way. :-\

Writtenwyrdd: I think we're supposed to naturally shrink about an inch per decade for every decade after 30. You may on schedule!

I should be one inch down by now. I'm worried someday I'll just collapse like a telescope. Schloop! Abruptly 5'0"; oh, woe.

Maybe Genius: But on the up-side, you never feel like a lumbering Godzilla whenever you do need to wear heels.

I never thought about changing my name when I was little, but I did wish for red hair and green eyes. I don't have any particular yen for them now, but that may have been because, as a teenager, I briefly made the transition via contact lenses and hair dye.

By the way, thanks again for the award!

sylvia said...

Oh no, if I start shrinking I'll be in big trouble!

Which leads to a truth, I am five foot tall exactly in my socks, providing they are very thick woollen socks.

But I posted about that before so I'll pay the toll with a real truth:

I carry my passport with me everywhere, constantly. There's no reason for this other than that way, when I go to the airport, I don't have to make sure I remembered to take it.

Whirlochre said...

sniff

I'd love to be six feet tall again.

Kate said...

Oh no! I didn't know that shrinking thing was so aggressive! I'm not quite 5'2" as it is.

I just put my own list up here, but here is one especially for you:

I was in a light opera company in college.

jjdebenedictis said...

Sylvia: The passport thing makes sense to me, because I need to keep things like that in ONE LOCATION ONLY or I have no hope of remembering where I put it when I actually need it.

Whirlochre: Oh? What height have you sprouted up to now?

Kate: Really? Oh, cool! I am so impressed by people who can actually sing. My musical ability is right up there with my athletic ability in terms of painful incompetence.

Maureen said...

I'm not very tall (nearly 5'4") but I have lumberjack feet!!

Seriously BIG feet. I think I must have been a snowshoe hare in a previous life! O_o

jjdebenedictis said...

Maureen: And perhaps, in a future life, you will be able to walk across water! :)

McKoala said...

Once I appeared in a sold out show in the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

OK, so it only ran for two nights in a miniature theatre, but still...

jjdebenedictis said...

McKoala:
OK, so it only ran for two nights in a miniature theatre, but still...

Don't worry; I still adulate you! ;-D

Pageloads since 01/01/2009: