Friday, February 19, 2010

Review: THE STEEL REMAINS, by Richard Morgan

I don't usually do book reviews on my blog, but for books that knock my socks off, I will make an exception.

The Steel Remains, by Richard Morgan, forcibly jettisoned my socks. It has a bit of a slow start, but turns into a rip-snorting and very masculine adventure tale featuring hilarious, engaging and gloriously profane characters, a believable medieval dystopia, and a hugely imaginative retelling of classic faery mythology.

To enjoy the book, you do need to be able to handle lots of swearing, quite a bit of viscerally-described violence, and two wee dollops of (very sexy) male-male erotica.

The story itself is quite simple: A man needs to rescue his cousin from slavery.

But then a bunch of gods, aliens, elves and corrupt religious fanatics get in his way.

5 comments:

Sarah Laurenson said...

Does and does not sound like my cup of tea. Awesome review. You should write flap copy.

fairyhedgehog said...

It sounds great except for the violence. I can't cope with violence.

sylvia said...

It sounds perfect for me, added to my wishlist!

sylvia said...

Ooooh, just saw Sarah's comment. Will you write my flap copy? In fact, will you write my query?

(Hey, what, it's worth a try, right?

jjdebenedictis said...

Sarah: Oh, thanks very much for the compliment.

It's one of those books I hesitate to recommend to people, even though I loved it, because some people would find it pretty traumatizing...

FairyHedgehog: The writing is wonderfully vivid. Unfortunately, that does apply to the icky bits as well as the delightful bits.

Sylvia: :D I don't know what your book is about. I'll volunteer to critique your query, but not to write it for you--you're the expert on the subject matter, after all.

Pageloads since 01/01/2009: